Born: San Salvador, El Salvador, 1968
Lives and works in Toronto
2008– Telus Interactive Art and Entertainment Program, Canadian Film Centre
2001 – OCAD – Certificate Program for Visual Artists
1993 – BFA – University of Toronto
- (Upcoming) Oral History of Mankind – Drawing installation, Peak Gallery, Toronto
- (Upcoming) Superexorcist – Multiple channel video installation, Peak Gallery, Toronto
- (Upcoming) DIKKI DEE’S BADAAASS RETURN – performance, AGYU Performance Bus, co-presented by Toronto International Art Fair and Up Art.
- I Was a Human Pinata Pt III – performance, The Drake Hotel, Toronto
- Chirajito: Clown Painter – performance, Hamilton Artists Inc., Hamilton Ontario
- Panda Colada Luau – performance, AGYU Performance Bus, co-presented by Toronto International Art Fair and Up Art.
- Gotterdammerung– video/performance, Kino Video and Film Collective, Camera Bar, Toronto
- To Drive The Nail of Terror into The Hearts of Backsliding Sinners – photo-based and video works, Peak Gallery, Toronto
- I Was a Human Pinata/Dirty Toe Shots Performance, Nakai Theatre, Whitehorse, Yukon. Curated by David Skelton
- Panda Spa Part II – Performance, Art Gallery of York University Performance Bus
- Chickens must Understand D.W. Griffith’s “Birth of A Nation” – Performance, Toronto International Film Festival, Drake Hotel, Toronto
- RedRum for Squirrel PT 2 – Performance, Toronto International Film Festival, Drake Hotel, Toronto
- Free Bootlickin’ (I Put a Spell on You) – Performance/installation, The Drake Hotel, Toronto
- Live Exorcism part II – performance/installation, The Drake Hotel, Toronto
- Bureau of Personal Guidance part II– Site-specific performance, 559 ½ Queen Street West, Toronto
- Monolith II – Performance, curated by Daniel Borins, as part of the Toronto International Film Festival, The Drake Hotel, Toronto
- This Is The Dawning of The Age of The Planet of The Apes – photo and video installation, Acid Records, Toronto
- Electric Anus, I Was A Human Pinata, How Hitchcock Saved The World – Artist in residence performance art projects curated by Daniel Borins and Jessica Rose, The Drake Hotel, Toronto
- Cosmopolitanism – performance/installation curated by Daniel Borins, Drake Hotel, Toronto.
- Strindberg in The Park, Wozzeck, the Lower Depths and Gerhard Hopman’s “The Weavers” – performance, Queen West Galleries, Toronto.
- Back from Visiting Hans in Lichtenstein – performance curated by Goll & Nielsen, Mercer Union, Toronto.
- The Ghost of The Artist as a Young Man – performance, curated by Daniel Borins, the Drake Hotel, Toronto.
- The Youngest Rock Star in History – performance curated by Derek Mainella, Mind Control gallery, Toronto.
- General George Smith Patton Jr. Addresses the Troops of the Third Army, April 7, 1944 - Performance curated by Tiff Izsa, Ne Plus Ultra Project Space, Toronto.
- Trouble In Smurfland – on sight installation, Mind Control, Toronto
- Virus From Outer Space – performance, Art System, Toronto
- The Lady in the Radiator – performance, Art System, Toronto
- Saint Lazarus Necro – on sight installation, A Space, Toronto
- Sex Death and Destruction –West Wing, Toronto
- (Upcoming) Portable Talk Show – video/performance, commissioned by Alucine Festival of Film and Video Art, Lennox Contemporary, Toronto, curated by Hugo Ares and Jorge Lozano
- (Upcoming) The Compulsion to Fill Space – Light installation, Scotiabank Nuit Blanche, Hart House, University of Toronto, curated by Christof Migone
- (Upcoming) Twelve Hour Wedding – with Cathy Gordon, performance/installation, Scotiabank Nuit Blanche
- (Upcoming) Gotterdammerung III – performance/installation, Gallery T40, Düsseldorf, Germany
- (Upcoming) Chirajito: Clown Painter – performance/installation, with Daniel Borins and Jennifer Marman’s The Mall of 401 Richmond, YYZ Artists Outlet, Toronto
- (Upcoming) Teen Satanic Ritual (With Exorcist Reenactment) – performance – Pas Cest’t Soir Cherie, curated by Theo Pelmus and Thomas Grondin, Gallery 101, Ottawa
- Remains to Be Seen – A Multi-Media Exploration of The Subject of Genocide – Organiized by the International Institute of Genocide and Human Rights Studies – curated by Rhonda Corvese – Lennox Contemporary, Toronto
- Gotterdammerung II – video/performance, presented by Available Light Collective – SAW Club – curated by Theodor Pelmus
- Remains to Be Seen – drawing installation, presented by the Centre for Genocide Studies, Lennox Gallery, Toronto, curated by Rhonda Corvese
- Exercises in Failure Volume III: Ulysses Does Julie Andree T. – performance, Fait Maison, Hull, Quebec, curated by Thomas Grondin and Theodor Pelmus
- Maximum Bonkers – video/performance, Envoy Gallery, Manhattan, New York, curated by Joshua and Zachary Sandler
- Superexorcist – Multiple channel video installation, presented by E-Fagia Digital Event, Hot Shot Gallery, Toronto, curated by Hugo Ares and Arlan Londono
- Thank You Thank You Thank you – performance, Futurist Cabaret, Department of Graduate Theatre Studies, University of Toronto
- Mia, I’ve Got a Headache – Video, curated by Jorge Lozano and Guillermina Buzio, Alucine Festival of Film and Video Art, National Film Board of Canada, Toronto
- Xibalba – Interactive sculpture installation, with Faisal Anwar – Curated by Haema Sivanesan, Scotia Bank Nuit Blanche 08, Liberty Village, Toronto
- Excercises In Failure Volume II: Clown Torture Revisited – Performance, curated by Johanna Householder, 7A*11D Performance Art Festival, Xpace Gallery, Toronto
- Exercises In Failiure Volume I: Ulysses Does Gomez Pena – Performance, curated by Amelia Jimenez, Latino Canadian Cultural Association, Toronto
- RE – GENERATION, a SAVAC Juried Members Exhibition - curated by Emelie Chhangur, Marilyn Brewer Community Gallery, Harbourfront Centre, Toronto
- The Eye - Live video simulcast and installation, with Faisal Anwar and Theodor Pelmus – Bucharest Biennial, Romania
- Poofy The Happy Clown – performance, Art Gallery of Mississauga, curated by Su-Ying Lee
- Clown Therapy – performance, Christopher Cutts Gallery, Toronto
- Panda Spa III – performance, Scotia Bank Nuit Blanche 07
- Flaming Dick parts 1, 2 and 3; Performance, with Friendly Rich and The Lollipop People, Tranzac, Toronto
- Love / Hate: New Crowned Glory In The GTA – paintings – curated by David Liss and Camilla Singh, Museum of Canadian Contemporary Art, Toronto
- Diplomatic Immunties: The End – Great Canadian Theatre Company, Ottawa
- The Wizard – performance, LatinAfrofest festival – curated by Amelia Jimenez, Off The Map gallery, Toronto
- Historia de la Revolucion – video installation, Curated by Hugo Ares Alucine Toronto Latin Media Festival, Gallery 1313, Toronto
- Chronic Enthusiasm – Drawings and photo collages, with Edith Dakovic and Fiona Smyth, curated by Camilla Singh , at Velada Santa Lucia, Maracaibo, Venezuela, organized by Clemencia Labin
- INTERart International Exhibition of Video Art – K.O.K.E.M. Contemporary Art Museum, MierCurea Ciuc, Romania
- Diplomatic Immunities, The End – Buddies in Bad Times Theatre, Toronto
- Interpretive Tours – Performance, The Gladstone Hotel, Toronto
- Panda Spa Part I – Performance, Toronto Alternative Art Fair International
- Zen Pussy Superstar (for Annie Sprinkle) – Performance, curated by Moynan King for City Of Freaks at Buddies in Bad Times Theatre, Toronto
- Free Bootlickin’s Box o’ Fun – Performance, Block In One Spot – The Theatre Centre, Toronto
- Teddybear’s Picnic Part II – Performance, Unholy Alliance exhibition and fashion show curated by Camilla Singh, Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art, Toronto
- Teddybear’s Picnic Part I – Performance, Gallery TPW’s Striporama, Gladstone Hotel, Toronto
- RedRum for Squirrel – Performance, 2006 Queen West Art Crawl, Toronto
- The Life and Death of I.D. – Curated by Elizabeth Frater, Mac Master Museum of Art, Hamilton
- Free Hugs – Performance, curated by Milena Placentile, Junction Arts Festival, Toronto
- Into The Void – Performance, curated by Jessica Rose, Nuit Blanche festival, Yorkville, Toronto
- Mommie Dearest is The Beast – Performance, Dresden Doll’s Fuck The Back Row film cabaret, Bloor Cinema, Toronto
- Diplomatic Immunities – Mammalian Diving Reflex’s “Cultural Acupuncture” projects, Buddies in Bad Times Theatre, Toronto
- Live Exorcism, Performance, McLuhan International Festival of The Future, De Leon White Gallery, Toronto
- My Day – email project, Interart exhibition, curated by Atelier Deschis, Miercuria CIUC Museum of Contemporary Art, Bucharest, Romania
- Monolith – performance and painting installation, curated by Istvan Kantor, Museum of Canadian Contemporary Art, Toronto
- Oedipus Rexdale– Performance, Insex exhibition, curated by Juno Youn, Spin Gallery, Toronto
- “Trust Me, I’m A Hispanic” Tours - performance in collaboration with Guillermo Gomez Pena, Toronto Free Gallery
- Snakes ‘R’ Us – video installation, Our Roots and Beyond, Gallery 66, Toronto.
- 2004 Niagara Falls Artist Host Program – curated by Goll & Nielsen, Mercer Union, Toronto
- Oedipus Rex as Narrated by My Penis – performance, Efficiency II exhibition, curated by Derek Mainella, Mind Control Gallery, Toronto
- Cadaver Sex – video, Instant Horror film and video festival, Curated by Graham Hollings, Cinecycle, Toronto
- Iggy, I Love You, Here’s My Murderous Axe – performance, Emerging Artist’s Biennale, Vrsac, curated by Ingrid Mayerhoffer and Zivco Grozdanic, Serbia and Montenegro.
- Film Class Cowboy – performance, FADO’s ART=LIFE=ART Performance Art Festival, curated by Istvan Kantor, Toronto.
- Bureau of Personal Guidance – performance, with Instant Coffee collective, Gladstone Hotel, Toronto.
- Aliens Ate My Buick – performance, with Instant Coffee collective, Gladstone Hotel, Toronto.
- Re: <0><0> An e-mail Project - curated by Alberto Guedea, Access Artist Run Center, Vancouver
- Que Sera Sera – Video, with Maria Legault, Instant Horror Video and Film Festival, curated by Graham Hollings, Cinecycle, Toronto.
- Alchemy and Mysticism #2 – touring painting show curated by Instant Coffee, Palacio De Las Artes, Disco Party Trailer, New York City.
- Re: <o><o> The e-mail Art Project - curated by Alberto Guedea, Comme Des Congres Gallery, Calgary.
- America Between The Wars – Film and sculpture installation, Alucinarte Latin American Art Festival, curated by Amelia Jimenez, Gallery1313, Toronto.
- Small World - Traveling Japanese / Canadian group show, curated by Timothy Comeau, Naomi Mizuno and Cynara Mori, Le Deco gallery, Tokyo.
- Small World -Traveling Japanese / Canadian group show, Sis Boom Bah gallery, Toronto.
- Somebody to Love – performance, Body Ground Performance Art Festival, curated by Istvan Kantor, Implant, Toronto.
- Ritmo y Color - Harbourfront Centre Community Gallery, curated by Amelia Jimenez, Ritmo y Color Art Festival, Harbourfront Centre, Toronto.
- Curator – Clourophobia – online video art exhibition, featuring work by Scott Redford, Chantal Rousseau and Bob Wiseman, Gallery TPW, Toronto
- Curator – Shoot Your Neighborhood - community photo and poster project, with the youth of St Jamestown, Gallery TPW, Toronto, featuring Raffael Antonio Iglesias and Mona Kamal
- Curator, Ulysses’ Hands Picks, 9th Regional Juried Art Exhibition – Modern Fuel Artist-run Centre, Kingston, Ontario
- Artistic Director, Latin Afro Fest – Five-day festival of dance, music and performance art, El Mocambo, Supermarket, Toronto
- Curator, Death…It’s Out There – Gallery exhibition featuring video art and photography by Greg Staats, Jack Burman, Emily Gove, Jubal Brown, Zorica Vasic, Su-Ying Lee, Juliana Schewe, Faisal Anwar and Gareth Brown-Jowett, Gallery TPW, Toronto
2006 – 2007
- Curatorial Resident, I See a Darkness – Series of web-specific works, screenings, blog curation and artist interviews on TPW’s YouTube channel, Gallery TPW, Toronto. Funded by the Canada Council for the Arts program, “Assistance to Culturally Diverse Curators for Residences in the Visual Arts”
- Curator, Trampoline Hall lecture series – Featuring talks on self-help, and Norwegian Black Metal by David Liss. Sneaky Dees, Toronto
- Artistic Director, Beyond Our Roots II, Interdisciplinary Art Festival – presented by Latino Canadian Cultural Association, The Drake Hotel, Toronto
- Artistic Director, Beyond Our Roots Interdisciplinary Art Festival – presented by the Latino Canadian Cultural Association, the Drake Hotel, Toronto.
- Curator, “Edible Women” – a show of new media pieces by Maria Legault, Jennifer Matotek, Beth MacEachen and Anica Vucetic, Deleon White Gallery, Toronto.
- Curator, “Neverland Ranch: Art at The Turn of The Century” – featuring painting and video works by Kineko Ivic, Daniel Borins, Derek Mainella, Graham Hollings, Maria Legault, Jubal Brown and Raffael Antonio Iglesias, Klinik, Toronto.
- Curator, “Fatal Surveillance” – a show of oil paintings by Matt Bahen and mixed media works by John Scott and Matt Bahen. A Space Gallery, Toronto.
- Curator, “The Rules of The Game” – video installation by Gustavo Artigas, presented as part of Images Festival of film, video, new media, performance and installation. A Space Gallery, Toronto
2008 to present, Member – IKT International Association of Curators of Contemporary Art, Casino Luxemburg Forum d’Art Contemporain
2007 Juror – Toronto Arts Council Emerging Artist Grant
2007 Juror – Gibraltar Point artist residency, Toronto
2004-2006 Member – Latin Canadian Cultural Association, Toronto
2001-2006 Juror – A Space gallery, Toronto
2002-2006 Member – Programming Committee, A Space gallery, Toronto
2002-2006 Board Member – Cecil Community Centre, Toronto
- Exhibition Assistance Grant, Ontario Arts Council ( Recommended byYYZ Artist’s Outlet)
- Project Grants to Individual Artists, Toronto Arts Council
- Fellowship Scholarship, Telus Interactive Art and Entertainment Programme, Canadian Film Centre
- Access and Career Development Grant, Ontario Arts Council
- Assistance to Culturally Diverse Curators for Residencies in the Visual Arts, Canada Council for The Arts
- Emerging Artist Award, Ontario Arts Council, Toronto
- Short-listed for Emerging Curator Award, The Untitled Toronto Art Awards, Toronto
- Emerging Artist Grant, Toronto Arts Council
- A Space Gallery Community Emerging Artist Award, Honorary mention, juried by A Space Gallery, Toronto
- City of Pickering Civic Award
Artist Talks / Lectures
- Vim Delvoye’s Cloaca – Curatorial talk to youth at Porter Creek School, Nakai Theatre’s Pivot Festival, Whitehorse, Yukon
- Technology vs. Art PT 2: Living in A Post- Future World – Lecture delivered at York University, Cultural Studies department, Contemporary Art and Technology, Allyson Mitchell course director
- (Upcoming) Curatorial Talk, Salvador Allende Festival of The Arts, Harbourfront Centre, Toronto
- When Children Die; artist talk and video screening – E-fagia Digital and Media Art Festival, Toronto
- Curating The Unsavory; Curatorial Talk – E-fagia Digital and Media Art Festival, Ontario College of Art and Design, Toronto
- Panel Moderator – The Business of Death – with artist Jack Burman, Bates and Dodds Funeral Services owner and director Stanley Chung and grief counselor Father Larry, Gallery TPW, Toronto
- From Fritz Lang to Laibach: Technology vs. Art – Lecture delivered at York University, Cultural Studies department, Contemporary Art and Technology, Allyson Mitchell course director
- Color and Performance – Lecture delivered at Ontario College of Art and Design, drawing and painting department, Zorica Basic course director
- Panel member, Artists and Revitalization panel discussion, in conjunction with Condo Boom!, with Susan Serran, Adrian Blackwell, Christina Zeidler and David Hulchanski, Moderated by Rebecca Ward, The Theatre Centre, Toronto
- Panel member, “The Birth and Death of I.D.”, Panel Discussion with Insoon Ha, Brendan Fernandes, Shelley Niro, and Ho Tam, moderated by Andrea Fatona, Macmaster Museum of Art, Hamilton
- Panel member, “Toronto Art Institutions and The Politics of Difference” panel discussion, with Xandra Eden and Janna Graham moderated by Kim Simon, Mercer Union, Toronto
- Artist talk, organized by University of Belgrade, Beograd Kulturni Centar, Serbia and Montenegro.
- Curatorial Talk at Jarvis Collegiate Institute, regarding video installations by Gustavo Artigas, as part of Images Festival of Independent Film, Video, New media, Performance and Installation, Toronto.
Reviews / Publications / Interviews
- The Globe and Mail – Ladies and Gentlemen, a Feat of Circus Nostalgia – by Gary Michael Dault – Saturday July 19, 2008 – page R12
- Akimblog – Ulysses Castellanos and Gareth Lichty at Peak Gallery – by Terence Dick – July 31, 2008
- “The Night I Saw A Man Light His Penis On Fire” by Amanda Palmer, Chart Magazine, July/August 2007 Issue # 188,
- Art Reviews, critic’s pick, “Space odyssey AluCine group show's lyrical riffs” by David Jager – Now Magazine June 7 - 13, 2007 | VOL. 26 NO. 40
- “Ulysses Castellanos gives artist John Bride a blindfolded tour of the Teen Queen Room, designed by Cecilia Berkovic” – Now Magazine, “Up Front” section, January 18 - 24, 2007 | Vol. 26 No. 20
- Cover Story – “Nuit Blanche – Ulysses Castellanos Looks Into The Art of Darkness at Luminous Citywide Happening” by David Balzer, Eye Weekly / September 28 2006, pg 20.
- “Nuit Blanche offers a full night of art and performance in three downtown zones”. By Benjamin Boles, Now Magazine / September 28 - October 4, 2006 | VoL. 26 No. 4.
- “Ulysses Castellanos gives artist John Bride a blindfolded tour of the Teen Queen Room, designed by Cecilia Berkovic” – Now Magazine, “Up Front” section, January 18 - 24, 2007 | VOL. 26 NO. 20.
- Mute. Curator’s essay by Ingrid Mayerhoffer, on the installation by Cuban artist Wilfredo Prieto at McMaster Museum of Art
- Instant Coffee’s Success Recovery Book - entry from “My Day/Life of Hustling” Internet project.
- The Globe and Mail – Predator, Prey and Sensuous Paint – by Gary Michael Dault – Saturday May 22, 2004 – page R15
- Interview with Elvira Sanchez de Malicki regarding recent performance art pieces, Telelatino Network, Toronto